CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 2, 2009

I had shut down my blog for a while because I was tired of doing it, but yesterday a firefighter from another station asked me to keep it going. The blog is a way for stations in my Dept. to stay in touch and see what's happening around the valley.
The truck in Tville was called to Walmart because a child was left in a car. When we got there the girl was still in the car and the police officer said he had estimated the girl to have been in the car for about 35 minutes. We unlocked the door using a tool called the "Big Easy". I pulled the 18 month old out of her seat and she just laid on my shoulder. There was a pretty big crowd gathered by this point and they started to cheer when I pulled her out (it was embarrassing). We evaluated her and determined that she was o.k. At that time here comes mom. She sees the lights on all of the cars and trucks and starts sopping saying she was only in the store for a few minutes. When the officer stated he had been waiting for her for 35 minutes, she said the lines were really long. We were really close to letting this lady have it. But instead we all buckled and ended up loading her groceries for her. I was ticked. I hate having to do the right thing.

Our crew just received two new paramedics last week and we have been curious to see how they would mesh in with us and I have to say they are very good paramedics. So you people in Tville can be assured you are getting some great service.

A man in his early 40's was having chest pain and stated that he had pain in the middle of his chest that was radiating into his left arm. He was calm but had a hard time breathing so I was calm knowing that as of right now he just has chest pain. Then he tells me he had a heart attack six months ago and the pain and breathing now are the exact same as they were then. Now I became more concern. I was making eye contact the entire time and in a split second he stopped talking and his eyes looked as if he was looking right through me. I yelled his name and his head slumped over and I knew it was game time. His heart stopped beating and he stopped breathing. We pulled him onto the floor and hooked our EKG monitor and sure enough the dude was dead. Paramedic Boshard gave the guy a pericardia thump (hit the person in the chest as hard as you possibly can with your fist). It didn't change anything. I started to bag the man(breath for the person by using a bag valve mask) and Boshard begin to charged the EKG. Boshard yelled clear and shocked the man. He did a quick jump from the floor and back down. We looked at the EKG and it showed a heart rhythm. Right then the man opened his eyes and asked what had happened. We told him he had just died. We put him in the ambulance and rushed him to the hospital. On the way he died again and we did the same thing as before with the same result. I honestly could not believe we had a guy die twice and we brought him back. It was just like the ER shows. I had never brought someone back like that, usually they come around after they have been at the hospital for a while. I was ecstatic. I saw how great our two paramedics Brandon Boshard and Jefferson Halladay really are and I am excited to work with them.

It was a good day. I have had a run of bad luck with babies for the last few months so to pull this one from the car and have her be alright was a good felling. We also saved two kids dad from dying. All of the failures and other deaths that we have experienced finally started to not feel so heavy.

4 comments:

Cam Ballou said...

Yeah, I'm glad you are still going to blog. I love reading all your stories. That is so awesome you were able to bring that guy back. I'm glad everything worked out for the baby too!!

The Whitney's said...

I am also happy that you have started to blog again. I like your stories. That is awesome that you were able to bring that guy back to life and that the little kid was okay. I bet that Mom will never leave her kids in the car ever again.

Jamie said...

I am very Proud of you!! You really do love your job and take so much pride in it. Love you!!

Liz said...

I'm glad you're going to keep blogging. Yours is the only blog Mike reads other than mine.

What a day! If I were the cop I would ahve broken the car window just to prove a point, but you did the right thing. :-)

What a ride with that guy. I'd imagine that is a pretty big adrenaline rush being able to save someones life like that. What you do is truly remarkable. Thank you!